Chuyển đến nội dung chính

President Emmerson Mnangagwa faces trouble

THE opposition MDC will submit a petition to the United Nations (UN) and international community asking them to designate President Emmerson Mnangagwa and his Zanu PF party as terrorists for the killings of civilians during public protests..Speaking to NewsDay during a protest of about 50 people against the Mnangagwa-led government that went well into the night on Saturday outside the UN headquarters in New York,.

MDC Northern America provincial chairperson Tawanda Dzvokoro said the petition had garnered over 3 000 signatures of Zimbabweans based in that country..“We don’t only demonstrate, but we also write petitions. Right now, we have a petition that has been signed by over 3 000 Zimbabweans that we are going to send to the United Nations and to other organisations as well.Sometimes they respond, but what we know is that they take note,” Dzvokoro said..

Efforts to reach Zimbabwe’s UN permanent representative Frederick Shava for comment were futile as no one answered calls made to the mission..Zimbabwe is enduring its worst economic crisis in a decade marked by shortages of hard currency, fuel, rolling power cuts of up to 20 hours a day and soaring inflation,.which has rendered salaries and savings worthless, fuelling public anger against Mnangagwa’s government..

Dzvokoro said the petition was because of the killing of civilians during the 2018 post-elections violence and during the protests over the hiking of fuel prices in January this year..Six civilians were killed and dozens were injured after the army fired live ammunition during protests over delays in announcing presidential elections on August 1 last year, according to a commission of inquiry appointed by Mnangagwa..The 150% fuel price hike in January triggered violent protests, with 17 people killed when the army clamped down on the unrest..

“We are going to continue to demonstrate, write petitions and mobilise Zimbabweans, even on social media so that Zimbabweans speak out against the atrocities that are going on in Zimbabwe,” Dzvokoro said..He said that they were also building a case on indicting Mnangagwa on charges of gross human rights violations at the International Criminal Court..Over the past few months, there has been an increase in abductions of civil society leaders, artistes and opposition members by suspected State security agents..

Since January, there have been more than 50 reports of civil society, labour and opposition leaders being abducted in Zimbabwe.Mnangagwa has questioned the alleged abductions.. “While we are happy that a staffer at a local hospital, who had been reported missing,.has now been found unharmed, government is disturbed by the growing trend of politically-motivated false abductions in the country which are calculated to put government in negative light,”.

Mnangagwa said last week after the Zimbabwe Hospital Doctors Association acting president Peter Magomeyi was found in Nyabira, about 30km north-west of the capital, on Friday last week.He had been missing since the previous Saturday.. Mnangagwa will attend the UN General Assembly with several ministers..Meanwhile, around 50 Zanu PF supporters held a counter protest at the UN headquarters against sanctions imposed on Zimbabwe by the United States. The two sides demonstrated side by side peacefully..

Nhận xét

Bài đăng phổ biến từ blog này

Meghan Markle blasts ex-husband

Before Meghan Markle joined the royal family and married Prince Harry, she was previously wed to Hollywood producer Trevor Engelson, and the couple had a less-than-perfect union.In fact, according to a royal biographer, Meghan once blasted her ex-husband for being "incredibly unprofessional". .Meghan and Trevor had been dating since 2004, and tied the knot on September 10, 2011 in Jamaica.However, the cracks in their relationship were apparently starting to appear three weeks before their wedding when Trevor made an obscure podcast called 'Schmoedown' and an unhappy Meghan watched the livestream from her home in Toronto.Trevor could be seen swigging from an engraved hip flask during the show, something which was reportedly a gift from his fiancee, but that didn't mean she approved of his behaviour. According to Andrew Morton's 2018 book Meghan A Hollywood Princess, she texted him to “put that flask down, it looks incredibly unprofessional”.Trevor was ...

Chaos erupts in Mugodhi Apostolic Faith Church after First Lady Auxillia Mnangagwa's visit

First Lady Auxillia Mnangagwa to Mugodhi Apostolic Faith Church in Wedza on a cancer screening awareness programme has divided the church.with one faction accusing the late founder Tandewu Mugodhi’s sympathisers of disrespecting their religious beliefs. This was revealed on Saturday at the burial of Tandewu by the faction which is fighting to wrest control of the church from Mugodhi’s family.The faction accused its rivals of inviting the First Lady for cancer screening, a medical process which they claim was against their beliefs.The First Lady visited the shrine in April last year alongside government officials from the. Health ministry as part of her nationwide awareness campaign on free cancer screening.Zimbabwe Amalgamated Churches Council patron Jimayi Muduvuri, who also attended the burial at the weekend, confirmed the matter yesterday, saying the cancer screening exercise had brought divisions within the sect. “I am aware of the issue and it is being propped up...

Queen Elizabeth releases historic message What she said

Queen Elizabeth II has shared a message of hope and paid tribute to British healthcare workers amid the coronavirus pandemic.In a video, which was shared to YouTube on Sunday, Her Majesty gave thanks to frontline health workers while offering words of encouragement to families across the nation.“I am speaking to you at what I know is an increasingly challenging time,” the Queen began. “A time of disruption in the life of our country: a disruption that has brought grief to some, financial difficulties to many, and enormous changes to the daily lives of us all.The Queen has issued a message to the nation on the coronavirus outbreak, saying the UK is “entering a period of great concern and uncertainty”.The 93-year-old praised the work of scientists, medics and emergency staff, but added that everyone has a "vitally important part to play".Her message came just ahead of the PM's daily briefing, in which he said the UK could "turn the tide" in 12 weeks. The ...